Read instructions carefully before placing a pet in this seat. Failure to follow these instructions could result in serious injury. By attaching the Dinky Dog pet seat to a bicycle you are acknowledging that you have read and understand the warnings and instructions, and understand the inherent dangers that may be associated with transporting a pet on a bicycle. Only experienced adult cyclists, who are very confident in their abilities as a rider should transport a pet using this seat.
- Assemble the seat by raising the front platform and securing the center support arm with one of the supplied screws and a washer. (See Fig 1. above)
- Attach the metal bar to your bicycle seat post. There must be at least 1¾ inches of post exposed below the seat to make this connection. Keep this connection as high up the seat post as possible. This will give the rider more legroom when peddling.
- Position the pet seat on the metal bar as far forward as possible without causing any interference with the steering post or handle bars of the bicycle.
- Make a small pencil mark on the metal bar right behind the pet seat.
- Remove the pet seat and also the metal bar using the quick release pin.
- Position the pet seat on the metal bar in the same position as it was while on the bicycle and turn both of them upside down. Slide the pet seat along the metal bar as if to cover the pencil mark until four of the drill holes simultaneously line up with the screw sockets on the bottom of the pet seat.
- Using four of the screws and washers provided, mount the pet seat to the metal bar. Make sure all four screws are in position before tightening.
Steps 1 through 7 should never need to be re-done unless the pet seat is mounted on a different size bicycle, in which case the four screws may have to be re-located in different holes to adjust the length.
Install the assembled pet seat to the bicycle using the quick release pin and be sure to secure that with the cotter pin provided or a small pad lock.
Safety Harness – Install and connect as shown
Your pet must be secured in the seat at all times using the safety harness provided.
- Place your pet in the seat in a sitting position as far back in the seat as possible.
- Connect and position the rear buckle over your pet’s shoulders and adjust the rear straps equally.
- Position the collar strap around your pet’s neck so it is just below your pet’s own collar. Connect the front buckle and adjust the collar strap to size.
- When your pet is in the sitting position with their front legs along the upper platform or straight down, adjust the front straps equally so your pet is restrained from standing.
Just like a seat belt on a child car seat, this harness is designed to limit unnecessary movement so your pet remains in a safe position to enjoy the ride.
- Prior to using, check the seat is secure to the bicycle and no parts are cracked, loose, missing, or broken.
- Due to the size and weight associated with transporting a pet on a bicycle, extreme care must be taken at all times. The rider may be required to make quick corrective action when the pet moves its weight.
- Care should be taken when placing your pet into the seat, and also when removing them. This should be done in a safe place away from distractions such as other pets and traffic.
- Initial rides should be brief, over smooth ground, in a safe location and away from all distractions.
- Increase the duration only when both rider and pet become accustomed and confidant.
- Never leave a pet unattended in this seat. Due to the higher center of gravity, a bicycle may fall over if parked on its stand or without proper support.
- Do not allow your pet to become a distraction when riding. Keep your focus on the safe operation of your bicycle, the rules of the road, the environment around you and other cyclists, pedestrians and vehicular traffic